a while back damsel tagged me for revealing little meme, which i’ll do right this second.*
eight things i’m passionate about.
1. friends. that’s such a bullshit answer, i know, but my reality is one of constant social outreach. i truly don’t give a shit about anything more than i’m interested in interesting and fun people, their ideas, and their quirks. there’s evidence of this everywhere: i’m an avid social media addict, i blog and read about 200 blogs, i spend a lot of my money travelling to see college friends, and i don’t think anyone who knows me could ever say i’m unable to pull together a pretty large crowd for a party. this isn’t me being arrogant…in fact it’s just the opposite…i spend a lot of time keeping track of other people.
2. art i haven’t seen/heard/experienced before. the simplest way for me to explain this is that i like the experience of hearing a new song that i really dig on first listen MORE than i like the experience of listening to my very favorite songs EVER.
3. kissing. this list is in no particular order.
5. detailed menus. show me a scotch list with detailed tasting notes and i’ll show you a five finger discount.
6. microsoft. the hate runs deep. very, very deep. like, to unhealthy levels of distaste and shit-talking. you know how you probably hate a credit card company or your cell-phone company? i hate microsoft infinitely more, even if your credit card company stole your cell-phone and charged you for its replacement.
7. my tattoo.
8. sushi. if it’s on a sushi menu, i’ll try it. i usually eat enough sushi in one sitting to fill a fish tank.
eight things i want to do before i die.
1. own an island resort.
2. sell my company to fund a long retirement.
3. write a handful of books, both fiction and non-fiction.
4. have a son who revolutionizes american soccer despite my casual suggestion that he choose a more realistic endeavor.
5. train two pet wallabies to run security detail for me.
6. have a building on stanford’s campus named after my old trainer, perry.
7. run more marathons than my father. or run a marathon, and come to terms with the fact that he ran six or seven.
8. get over the fact that i didn’t win a national soccer championship in college. sometimes i think i’m over it, until i remember who beat us.
eight things i say often.
1. that’s what she said.
2. what up? this is how i answer my phone.
3. branner, NO! the poor little guy probably hears NO more than anything else, but that’s because when he’s good i’m rubbing his face and giving him treats.
4. can i see your scotch list? this is often followed with a look that says, sir, this isn’t that kind of place.
5. where the fuck did i park my car? happened this morning.
6. he’s a vizsla. do you know what a weimaraner is? he’s like that, but red. sometimes repeated three or four times during our walks around the neighborhood.
7. i really wish XRT would quit playing the talking heads. (and/or U2.) i usually say this to myself in the car, but i’m not afraid to say it in the presence of either band’s fans. sorry…just not my cup of tea.
8. new social media! i’m in! social. media. hizzzz-or. (whore.)
eight books i’ve read lately.
if you haven’t read this previously…every time i take a flight, i buy a book in the airport. i write the trip’s destination inside the book cover, as well as the date. funny that this section this meme makes me think of vacations.
1. lamb: the gospel according the biff, christ’s childhood pal – ever feel like maybe a guy who is regarded as the savior at age 33 might have had an awkward, normal-ish childhood? biff tells it like it was…which is why, according to him, we’ve never heard of him. hilarious.
3. leaving microsoft to change the world; an entrepreneur’s odyssey to educate the world’s children – one of the most inspirational things i’ve laid my eyes on in as long as i can remember. i could. not. put. this. down.
4. half asleep in frog pajamas – tom robbins rocks and i’ve read almost all of his books.
5. a man without a country – kurt vonnegut makes me feel like every word i write during my whole life should be interesting. somehow that challenge makes writing more fun.
6. eldest – second book in the inheritance trilogy, a science fiction series written by christopher paolini, who was 17 years old when the first book came out. i started it purely out of curiousity to such a young writer, and have been thus far engaged.
7. what got you here, won’t get you there – a super book if you’re into this sort of thing…the sort of thing being ideas about success and achieving your goals.
8. kafka on the shore – murakami is another brilliant living author, like vonnegut (until he, you know, died), that i feel fortunate to participate in. this particular book’s being produced on steppenwolf’s stage next season.
eight movies i’ve seen eight times.
1. the big lebowski. “Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.”
2. waking life. “On really roma
ntic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion.”
3. usual suspects. i named a pet lizard soce in college.
4. dazed and confused.
5. caddyshack. during fraternity initiation, we had to watch this 24 hours a day for a week. shifts were 4 hours at a time, 2 viewings each time. i’ve seen this a lot, needless to say.
6. high fidelity. “Oh, that’s not obvious enough Rob. How about the Beatles? Or fucking… fucking Beethoven? Side one, Track one of the Fifth Symphony… How can someone with no interest in music own a record store?”
7. fight club. “It’s only after we’ve lost everything that we’re free to do anything.”
8. twelve monkeys. i always seem to catch this on television and i never seem to turn it off.
i’m not going to tag eight people, because i think everyone on earth has done this meme.
*i think the worst thing about memes is explaining them, so i didn’t.